Monday, February 6, 2012

Read RADICAL


I wanted to take a moment to endorse and recommend David Platt’s Radical.  

I started reading it a couple of weeks ago, and took it fairly slow in order to really digest and meditate on the Christ exalting truths that Platt unpacked. 

Platt’s books (and sermons, I hear) are loeaded with scripture and quite convicting as well as inspiring.   The book moves quickly as he addresses the call of discipleship in a direct, convincing and applicable way.  At the end of the book, he lays out a one year “Radical Experiment” with 5 ways to really pursue God and live for him.  

I guess in some ways, you could read the back cover of the book and get the main point!  I could summarize it in less than a sentence: 
God is amazing, His mission is glorious, Jesus our savior is worth your whole life!!

It's similar to most good Christian books in that way -including other best sellers like Crazy Love by Francis Chan.   But don’t settle with synopsis.  It’s worthy to read thru this whole book and really internalize the things that he’s talking about. 

He also has another one that I think is made for small groups called Radical Togetherbut, I haven't read that one....

A friend of mine,  Mike Morgan once asked me: "is there any book you've read that you didn't think was "great?"   I like to imagine that I pick my books pretty carefully  -and I don't subscribe to the idea that you have to finish everything you start.  (because some things should have never been started in the first place!)   Thus, I would say,  I haven't read too many books all the way thru that I didn't at least appreciate.  If a book is lame, I just stop reading it once I get the main point.   But, for insight and credibility sake, here are 

some that I don't think are great!  

Velvet Elvis  by Rob Bell.  Creatively written of course, and not boring, just not actually as illuminating as the author supposes it to be.  A book full of great questions, but lacking on clarifying answers.   This book rants and raises some great issues throughout, but in the end I felt like I was standing on sand instead of a solid rock. 
Servolution  by Dino Rizzo  A great concept; Basically, it's about serving like Christ.  Amen!  And I think Dino’s church must be doing some awesome ministry! There's nothing heretical in this book that I saw, but it was just not engaging!  I'm not sure why!  So, I didn't finish it.   I am sure some people find it inspiring;  that was the author's point, but I thought it was poorly written. 
Irresistible Revolution: living as an ordinary radical by Shane Claiborne  I actually enjoyed reading most of this book.  (i didn't finish it.)  I think I'd enjoy hanging out with Shane if I got to meet him, and I support the things he does in Philly and beyond.  But, his theology is kind of weak, and he uncritically weaves too many worldly political ideas (mostly liberal ones) into his books.  Tim Keller's Generous Justice is a way more worthy read.  And Keller allows the Gospel to critique both liberal and conservative ideals that aren't biblical.  

1 comment:

  1. Hey JW, I'm still impressed with the volume of "great" books you manage to read. And your ability to retain their messages and share them in context is pretty great too. I'm looking forward to checking out this book.

    ReplyDelete