Sunday, March 7, 2010

Preparing for Big Break

In a couple of weeks, we're going to head out to Campus Crusade for Christ's "Big Break" mission trip in Panama City Beach, Florida. Big Break is a power packed combo of mission trip and awesome worship conference that takes place all month long in Panama City (PCB).

Throughout the month of March, as you know, students from all over America have spring break. Thousands converge upon the beach in places like the Florida panhandle for days of reckless and irresponsible debauchery. Campus Crusade heads out there for the sake of the Gospel to engage in reckless evangelism!

Our hope was to take our whole family down this year, but it doesn't appear financially possible at this point. That's a bummer, because I bribed Titus to let me give him a haircut by telling him I was going to take him to the beach! It's still possible that we'll all go down as a family, but most likely, I'll end up going with our students and the rest of the fam will stay up here.

This week, one of our students who is going on the trip sent out an e-mail exhorting everyone else to prepare adequately for the trip. Check out what she wrote:

Hello all!

As big-break approaches, I want to encourage each of you to prepare for panama city spiritually. In the last week, God has convicted me of this, and since I was so encouraged, I wanted to share this story.

Since registering, I've been going to the gym consistently (my mind was already at the beach, I guess), running at least 20 miles per week, and increasing my work out each time. Sometimes I would go to the gym twice a day. However, last Tuesday, as I was getting ready to go to the gym, God stopped me and asked, "How are you preparing for Panama City any differently? Who am I sending?" At that moment, I felt shakened and realized that those who don't know Christ are probably doing the same thing- going to the beach just to look good. That day I grabbed my Bible and read it even in the gym, and started to memorize scripture.

I hope that this reminds all of us that we are sent by God to proclaim His word as Christians. I encourage everyone to draw closer to God so others can see that we have been near Jesus. I'm thinking that before break, we could memorize scripture together so we can equip ourselves and look good for Jesus :) If anyone is interested, let me know! It would be good to keep each other accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment